Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Surviving the Dog Days...

..of pregnancy that is.  If you've been there, you know the ones I am talking about.  The days of being sick as a dog, the days of being dog tired... the dog days.  I am in the midst of these days; and if this pregnancy is anything like my first, I have many, many more to go.

When I first found out I was pregnant, I felt really good.  And, as much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but worry that something might be wrong with this pregnancy.   Plus, with my first pregnancy, my doctor told me the sicker I was, the healthier the baby.  I just couldn't fathom being pregnant and feeling great.   

It didn't take long, though, for the sickness to set in.  I noticed a little last week, that I wasn't feeling as great.  But, by Saturday afternoon, it was full fledged sickness.  Since we were at the MSU ballgame, I was distracted from feeling bad.  But the last few days have not been good.  

I haven't actually been sick, like vomiting or anything, yet... But, oh my goodness, I have been nauseas.  It is like having a constant hangover, without the fun before.  There are moments when I just want to curl up in the fetal position and cry.

And, whoever said that food taste better when you are pregnant didn't experience pregnancy quite like this!  The thought of certain foods sounds good, but when I actually get the food, I can't eat it.  Just the smell makes my stomach do flips.  Just the thought of some foods makes me sick... Remember my post about the hot dogs that were so good? Well, just typing that sentence just made me dry-heave.  And the thought of chicken... ugh!  I don't think I ever fully recovered from my aversion to chicken while pregnant with Emma... 

You see, when I was pregnant with Emma, I taught at a school that is in a town with LOTS of chicken farms.  I would dry-heave all the way to school every single morning and all the way home in the afternoon.  And, on mornings that were foggy or really damp, the smell was that much worse.  And, if that wasn't enough, I usually got behind a chicken truck and had to witness these poor, nasty creatures falling out and getting smashed in the road.  Needless to say, I am not much of a chicken fan these days.


Anyway, with Emma, I was sick until I was well past the 24 week mark.  That is over half way through the pregnancy!  And, that means I possibly have 18 plus weeks to go.  UGH!!!  Seriously, how am I going to keep up with Emma when I feel so bad!?!?!  My friends that have had their second child tell me that you just push through the sickness and tiredness.  They say that deep down you know that you don't have any other option but to get through it, so you do.  I hope they're right!

Say a prayer that the sickness subsides soon rather than later!  And say a prayer for a healthy pregnancy.  My first appointment is the 16th, so just 9 days away.  I can't wait!  

No comments:

Post a Comment