Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog

I'm not really a fan of hot dogs... I mean, I eat them, but don't love them... until now.

I was being lazy on Sunday and flipping through the channels, trying to find some type of thoughtless, but not too thoughtless, television to watch.  Somehow, I landed on the Travel Channel... a channel I like, but don't watch often.  So, anyway, I am in my jammies, on the couch, watching the Travel Channel, actually, dozing off more than not and there must have been some type of Best of marathon going.  They were showing the best water parks, amusement parks, pizza and then hot dogs.  I don't think they were all in the same show, I was mindlessly watching.

But anyway, it was around lunch time and I was getting hungry when they started talking about hot dogs.  My first thought was Gross, but I seriously didn't have the energy to change the channel.  I kept thinking that I would doze off again, but it just wasn't happening.

So, I decided to perk up a little and actually watch the show.  As I did, they started talking about New York Style hot dogs... There are different styles of hot dogs? Since when?!? Anyway, they kept talking about these New York Style dogs and the creator of the Best NY Style hot dog.  It's a Nathan's hot dog.  Ever heard of it?  I had, but like I said, I'm not a big fan of hot dogs.

Of course, being that it was lunch time, and I was starving, these hot dogs began looking pretty good.  Then, the more I listened, the more interested I became in the back story.  And, being that I am such a sucker for a story, I began to kind of like the idea of trying a Nathan's hot dog.  I decided that it was something that I would have to give a try... someday, but it wasn't like I had to have it now.

However, today, I was wandering around Wal-Mart today and began to think about what I would fix for supper.  I racked my brain, search recipes online from my phone and combed the aisles looking for something to fix.  Then it hit me.  I'll get Chuck to grill hot dogs tonight... Nathan's hot dogs!

We, well, he, Chuck, grilled hot dogs tonight.  And was quite skeptical of how great I claimed these hot dogs would be...especially since I had never tried one. But, he grilled them anyway to pacify me.  Then I told him that in true NY fashion, he could only put mustard on it... no ketchup.  Now, he was definitely unimpressed with my idea.

But, being the sweet and loving hubby that he is, he did it.  He ate his Nathan's hot dog with just mustard, just like me.  I must say that we were both quite pleasantly surprised with just how good these hot dogs were.  And, Chuck was pretty impressed with the mustard only option, too!

These are big, fat, all beef hot dogs that are truly just like the ones you get at major sporting events.  I can't really say just what one looks for in a hot dog, but these have it.  They were so good that I ate two... and considered eating more, but I really got concerned that my belly just might pop from being so full!

And, usually, if Chuck grills hot dogs, I toss the left overs... There's no way I would eat a left over hot dog.  But, tonight, I wrapped these babies up for lunch tomorrow!  I've never been so excited about leftovers!!!

Now tonight, I can honestly say that I love hot dogs.  IF they are the right kind of hot dogs, Nathan's, grilled perfectly... not charred or even having little black lines... and served up with mustard only.

And, this new found love for these particular hot dogs has left me singing "Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog"  from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse!  Crazy, I know!  Maybe it won't be stuck in my head too long!


2 comments:

  1. Love the Mickey Mouse Club and love that you were able to write an entire post on hot dogs :-) Made me happy! I saw you on BF and wanted to stop by and say hi! Your little Emma is adorable! ~Kimberly

    www.stinkerpinker.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Glad you enjoyed the post. I look forward to visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete