Friday, September 17, 2010

Our New Baby

Yesterday was my first pre-natal appointment with Dr. Y.  Honestly, I was quite anxious about it.  I don't really know why other than I think I know more about what can go wrong than I did when I was pregnant with Emma.  

We did the normal stuff, blood work, blood pressure, weight, and then he checked to may sure my uterus was showing signs of pregnancy, which it did.  Then, as we talked more, he suggested that we do an ultrasound to check the gestational age of the baby.  Chuck and I were so excited because with Emma, we didn't do an ultrasound until the second trimester.

The ultrasound tech told us before she started that she would look before putting it on the screen for us to see.  That completely freaked me out.  Luckily, though, it only took her a couple of seconds before she turned our screen on.  We immediately saw our newest addition and he or she already looks like a baby!

So many people have said in the past that you can't tell much this early, that it really just looks like a little blob.  I don't know if it's because I have looked at so many ultrasound pictures or if I was just looking to see a baby, but I could so tell where all the parts are.  It was so exciting and thrilling!  It really made it all real.

I didn't have that with Emma for a while... the realness that you get from seeing.  I knew I was pregnant because I was so sick I could hardly lift my head off the pillow, and I heard her heartbeat, but that was it.

Everything looked good on the ultrasound and our baby measures at 8 weeks and 3 days, today.  Some cysts were spotted and we were told not to worry about them, that they should go away on their own.  However, after the ultrasound, the tech asked us to have a seat in the waiting area because the doctor would need to speak with us again.  Now, I completely freaked out.  We sat in the waiting area for what seemed like forever and then he called for us.  When he didn't take us into a room, I relaxed a little.  He had no news really, just reassurance that everything looked good and that the cysts were nothing to be concerned about.

He gave me a prescription for my sickness, which I am so very grateful for and told us that he was excited for us and looked forward to our next visit in a month.  I look forward to it as well.  I am always anxious to hear our baby's heartbeat and get the reassurance that everything is still going great.

We left feeling good and glad that even though it is a 2 1/2 hour drive that we decided to keep seeing Dr. Y.  He is so good at what he does and truly is invested in his patients.   And as Chuck put it, "He seemes as excited as we are about this baby" which makes me know that sticking with him was the right decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment