Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A New Recipe

Twelve hours, two Zofran, several B-natals, and a whole bunch of will power later... I got myself up off the couch and cooked supper for my family tonight.  Since I got sick Saturday night, I have been struggling.  I have been completely worn out and nauseated.  I feel so guilty for not playing with Emma like I used to.  We read books, color and cuddle, but we have watched a lot more t.v. lately than usual.  I hate that.  But, some days it is all I can do.

But, I digress... My recipe... Last week, when I was feeling good, I decided I wanted to make a home-made Alfredo sauce.  I had all the necessary ingredients, so I made myself get up and make it tonight.  I am glad that I did.  It is a quick and easy recipe that is definitely a new family favorite.  I found this recipe online and then edited to make it my own.  And, had I been able to find my cauliflower puree, it would have been Deceptively Delicious! 

Anyway, here's my version of the recipe:

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 c chicken broth
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
1/2 c Romano cheese
8 oz cream cheese, cut into chunks
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
Salt and Pepper to taste


First, melt the butter in a sauce pan.
Add flour and brown.
Slowly add chicken broth and simmer until it thickens.
Add milk and whisk steadily while simmering.
Once mixture thickens, add cheeses and stir until smooth.
Continue to whisk to prevent burning.
Add garlic, salt and pepper.
Cook until desired thickness is reached.
Before serving, whisk in whipping cream.

I was quite pleased with the flavor of this sauce, and I tend to be picky when it comes to Alfredo sauce.  Chuck loved it.  He raved over it and he doesn't rave over just anything.  And, it's really pretty simple to make.  It took me about 25 minutes to complete this sauce... Which is about the same amount of time it takes for my water to boil and noodles to cook.  Plus, you can add so many different things to this sauce... chicken, mushrooms, shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes... the possibilities are limitless!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment