Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Deceptively Delicious, Recipe 5

Though it has been a while since I told you about my Deceptively Delicious project, I am still hard at it.  One of the latest recipes I have tried is Chicken Nuggets.

These were super yummy!  And, fairly easy.  You take chicken breast and cut them into the size nuggets you want.  Then, you dip them into sweet potato puree mixed with an egg.  Next, you dip them into a mixture of Panko, milled flaxseed, garlic powder, onion powder and some other seasonings.

Finally, you pan-fry them in a skillet of 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  I followed the book's recipe exactly, and my chicken nuggets turned out really good... tasting that is.  They were pretty ugly to look at!  For whatever reason, I can not pan-fry anything!  My batter fell off some of them... What's that all about?

After finishing the first batch, I decided to add a little Tony Chachere's to the Panko mixture.  This just gave it a little kick, which I prefer.  Actually, I rarely eat anything without some sort of spicy seasoning on it.

But, anyway, since I am terrible at pan-frying, I thought I would try baking the second batch of nuggets.  I really think this would have worked, except for the fact that I forgot about them.  How?  I'm not really sure because I was in the kitchen.  Emma and I had finished off the first batch and I was cleaning up the kitchen.  Still, though, I forgot about them.

When I did finally remember them, I took them out of the oven and they looked beautiful!  Really, they were the perfect golden brown.  Unfortunately, though, they were hard as a rock... completely dried out.  Next time, I'll set a timer.  Maybe that will keep me from forgetting about them!

Also, since this attempt, I was listening to a cooking show where the chef was pan-frying chicken.  She said that after battering your chicken that you should let it rest for about 30 minutes.  Supposedly, this rest period allows the bread crumbs to absorb the wet part of the batter... in my case the egg and sweet potato puree... and helps it to stick better.  No one has ever told me that!

This is a tip that I will remember and definitely put to use!  Maybe my next batch of nuggets will not only taste good, but look great too!!!

Have you tried anything Deceptively Delicious lately?  If so, tell me about it!  I LOVE a new recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment