Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Good to be Back

Ahhh... It's good to be back.  And, even better to feel like being back!  In the last week, the cold and cough that I have had for a month now progressed, and I was feeling pretty rotten...  Rotten and extremely fatigued.  It didn't seem to matter how much I slept and rested, I was still exhausted.  I was too tired to anything but what HAD to be done to take care of Emma.

Finally, I gave in and went to the doctor.  She was quite concerned.  And, since I am still in my first trimester, she was even more concerned.  She told me that the meds I needed were not safe during pregnancy, so she hoped that the ones she could prescribe me would help.  She told me that I was very close to a bout with pneumonia and a hospital visit.  Great... Just what I need!

So, I am taking my medicine diligently and resting as much as possible in hopes of feeling better and actually getting better.

However, before I went to the doctor, I tried to press on with life as usual and pretend that I didn't feel like the walking dead.  We had a ballgame, which, of course we went to.  And, of course, Emma had a blast.  It was an early game, which was nice in some respects, but not so much in others... It's hard enough to get out the door with a toddler in time for a 6:00 PM game.  But, 11:00 AM... whew.  We made it, and actually had a few minutes to spare.

Once we got to the game, I took Emma to sit with my parents, Granna and Pop, because I just could not wrestle with her during the game.  It was at this point that I knew that I was much more sick that I had let myself think.  I carried her up a few steps and at that point I was so winded and tired that I really thought I would pass out.  I got light-headed and started seeing spots.  I put her down, but that wasn't much help.  She is still too small to step up the tall stadium steps on her own.  I basically had to pick her up and set her on each step.  There was a line of people behind us trying to get to their seats and I almost broke into tears.  By the time I got up the 52 steps, I was done.  I had to sit with my parents a while and recoup.  I don't know if they could tell how bad I felt or not.

After catching my breath, and giving the spots and blackness time to pass from my vision, I headed back down to my seat.  Luckily, going down wasn't nearly as taxing.  I sat through most of the game with Chuck and tried to just relax.  It wasn't easy because the sun was blazing and it was hot.  I could honestly feel my skin sizzling... I am extremely fair-skinned (at my darkest, I still wear "fair" foundation!) and for whatever reason, I burn 10 times worse when I am pregnant!  I sent Chuck for water and tried to cover any part of my arms and chest that I could.  I only made it through the first three quarters.  By then I was burnt so badly that my skin was a maroonish color .  It was bad enough that anyone I passed asked if I were going to be okay since I was burned so badly.  All I could think was, "Good job, Jes!"

Luckily, I had the presence of mind to coat Emma with sunscreen (I did miss one tiny little spot on her face, but she wasn't in the sun as long as I was).  However, after getting sunscreen on her, I got busy wrestling with her and forgot to put it on myself.  So, I wound up with a third degree burn on top of feeling like death.

I can honestly say, though, that I am feeling a little better.  Even though I just started my medicine yesterday, it is kicking in and helping.  I actually slept most of the night instead of coughing!  I am looking forward to another restful night tonight, too.  Emma and I have played outside all day, so she is pooped... Which usually means she will sleep all through the night, even if she looses her paci.  Here's to hoping!

Happy Tuesday!  Hope your week is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment