Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baby News

I had an appointment with OB/GYN yesterday to check on this baby that is growing and developing in my belly.  Everything went well and as expected, which is always a good thing.  We listened to the baby's heartbeat, though it was a little challenging.  He or she was being quite active, so it was hard to get an accurate heart rate.  But, my doctor said that he would put it in the 150-160 range.

Also, he measured me to make sure I am growing as I should, which I am.  And, he told me that I hadn't gained any weight since my last appointment.  YAY!!!!  I went into this pregnancy heavier than I would have like to have been... and much heavier than I was when I got pregnant with Emma, so I am trying to keep my weight gain under control!  But, by NO means am I dieting or anything like that... just trying to make healthier food choices than the first time around... It has been easier to do that this time.  With Emma, I was sick 24/7 for 24 straight weeks.  And, the only thing that made me feel better was food.  I would eat an entire box of mac and cheese or an entire large pizza in a single sitting... And, this usually happened 4-6 time each day.  I was out of control!

Luckily, I haven't been nearly as sick with this baby.  That and ever other aspect of this pregnancy is different than my first.  I am convinced that this baby is a boy!  Of course there is a 50-50 chance that I am wrong, but I don't think so.  I was sure of Emma's sex before I found out, and was right, so I am hoping to be right again!  We'll see in November!  But, if I'm not, and this baby is a girl, I will still be thrilled.  I already have tons of cute clothes for a girl... We just don't have a girl name we can agree on!

Anyway, after getting the basics out of the way, the discussion with my doctor became a little more serious.  We discussed my options of having or not having a cerclage with this baby.  I had one with Emma because my cervix shortened a lot in a single week... I don't remember the exact measurement, but it was a significant amount.  So much so that we had to decide that day whether or not to do the surgery the very next morning.  And, as luck would have it, Chuck didn't go to that appointment.  It was so nerve wracking!  We were both terrified of doing it, but terrified of not doing it.  Ultimately, we did make the decision to have the surgery and it was the right one.  After I delivered, my doctor told me that we probably wouldn't have gotten to that day had I not done the cerclage.

Chuck and I had already discussed the cerclage and decided that it is something that we will do again.  Neither of us want to risk waiting too long and it being too late.  Nor do we want to get to a position where bed rest is the only option for helping prevent pre-term labor.  So, as of now, we are scheduled for surgery on October 26... However, there is a possibility that it may be postponed until November 2.  Either way, say a prayer for our baby, us and our medical team!  When I know for sure what day surgery will be, I will update!

Hope that each and every one of you have a great evening!  Please add my Grandmother to your prayer list.  She was hospitalized last night and hasn't gotten to go home yet.

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment