Monday, April 5, 2010

The infamous 'Red Room'

I can't believe that as I am sitting here typing this post that it is only noon.  I have had quite the long night and morning.  I swear that we have other rooms in our house other than the infamous 'red room,' but it seems that all the blog-worthy events happen there.  Even though that in reality, we are hardly ever in there.

So, anyway, back to the long night and morning... After an eventful weekend, I decided to go to bed at a decent hour.  That was all great and wonderful until around midnight.  Emma woke up and couldn't seem to get herself back to sleep.  After a little while I went to her room and began to rock her.  I noticed that she didn't have her paci, so I went to get it out of her bed.  Only, it wasn't in her bed... None of the 6 that are usually in her bed were there.  So, with her in tow, I began searching the floor in the dark for a paci.  Finally, I found one and we started rocking again.  It wasn't long before I had rocked myself to sleep, but not Emma.  I woke up to her staring at me; at that point, I decided that we would spend the rest of the night in the 'red room.'  It was the usual long, restless night with little sleep for me and even less room on the bed for me.

I was a trooper, though, and when it was time to get up, I did and began my day.  Things were going smoothly, until Meiko,our Yorkie,  decided to play with the tennis ball that Emma took from Macie, our lab.  Emma saw Meiko pawing at the ball and had a melt down.  I encouraged her to throw the ball for Meiko, and that worked for a little while.  I finally decided to get another tennis ball out so they each would have one.  Much to my dismay, that didn't solve the dilemma.  No matter which ball they had, they both wanted the other one.  And, when I would swap the balls, they still wanted the other.

I went rounds with them trying to resolve the issue.  But, no matter what, Emma nor Meiko could be satisfied.  I couldn't help but laugh, though, because Emma would scream and babble at Meiko, telling him what she thought of him.  I would have loved to know what she was saying because she was letting him have it.  And, as soon as I would get the ball away from Meiko and give it back to Emma, he would paw at her hands until she dropped the ball... sending her into another melt down.  Finally, I put both tennis balls away and put Emma down for a much needed nap.

Though she didn't nap long, she was in a good mood when I got her up.  We played and packed to go to Granna and Pop's for the night.  Then I fed her spaghetti for lunch.  She was beginning to get whiny and I was trying to hurry to get our things packed and us ready to get on the road.  I was working on getting Emma dressed when I made the fateful decision.

Emma has had a terrible diaper rash, so I have let her go without a diaper for a few minutes here and there.  I should have known better with the way my morning had been going, but I didn't.

Honestly, she hadn't been without a diaper for 2 minutes.  I walked into the 'red room,' the carpeted  'red room,' to look for something in the closet.  Emma followed.  As I was digging in the closet, I smelled a familiar smell.  I looked down and Emma was standing in a pile of poop. BRIGHT RED POOP (she had eaten spaghetti).  All I could do was scream 'NO!'  Which made Emma cry.  She tried to sit down, but before she could, I yanked her up and rushed into the bathroom.  This caused Emma to get hysterical, which only made matters worse.  I put her in the sink to begin washing her off.  That would be when I saw, out of the corner of my eye, the Tasmanian Devil that Meiko had become.  He was in the 'red room' rolling in the poop!  I screamed at him, but it was too late.  He was already covered.

Because Emma was still screaming and crying uncontrollably and still covered in poop, I just had to let him roll.  Then, I went to put Emma in the tub so I could finish cleaning her up.  I thought that maybe, finally, I had the situation under control... Nope.  I heard a loud splat.  I turned to look and see what it could possibly be and I saw it.  More poop.  This time it was running down the bathroom wall and had hit the floor.  I guess that went I swung Emma around from the sink to the tub it came off of her, or maybe she wasn't finished yet.  Either way, I sat down on the edge of the tub.  Though she was still wet and covered in poop, Emma hugged me, and I hugged her back.  I began to cry with her, then laugh.

And, I laughed until she started to laugh.  And, everything was okay again, even if it was still a little stinky.

No comments:

Post a Comment